Why Should You Take Collagen Supplements After Your 40s?
Ageing is an extraordinary process. With age comes wisdom, experience, and a new outlook at life very different than the youth years. However, with age also comes some inevitable changes to your body, such as the decline of collagen.
Collagen is the most abundant protein in the body. It’s found in your skin, hair, and nails, and even in your muscles, tendons, and ligaments. Collagen is literally the glue that holds your body together! You can thank collagen for your elasticity, flexibility, healthy skin, and strong bones.
Your body naturally produces collagen; however, this process begins to slow down after your twenties. At this stage, the collagen you produce isn’t as effective as the collagen produced during your youth years, and it breaks down faster than it can be replaced. When collagen starts to decline, the skin starts to lose its elasticity, firmness, and moisture. This is also when you begin to see fine lines and wrinkles, which usually go alongside joint pain, dry hair, and brittle nails.
There isn’t an exact age when collagen consumption should be started. As long as your physician gives you the green light, you can add collagen to your diet at any time during your adult years – whether in your 20s, 30s, 40s, and so on.
However, we’re going to talk about why you should take collagen supplements during your 40s.
Menopause transition begins between the ages of 45 and 55. Menopause is the stage that occurs after approximately 12 months of a women’s last period where the reproductive hormones start to decline. After menopause, the body can no longer produce as much of the hormones, estrogen and progesterone. This marks the natural end of childbearing years, as the menstrual cycle, as well as fertility, go away. Menopause can cause uncomfortable symptoms, such as hot flashes, sleep disturbances, and weight gain.
Menopause causes many changes to the body. The most visible changes are the result of the decline of collagen. In fact, studies have shown that 30% of the body’s collagen is lost during the first 5 years of menopause. Estrogen plays a major role in collagen production, so it makes sense that as estrogen levels decrease, so will collagen. The swift lack of collagen makes way for wrinkles and sagging skin, and can even lead to pimples, acne, and rashes.
Collagen supplementation is important at any age but becomes even more essential as you get to your 40s. There is no way to reverse ageing, or even replenish all the collagen that the body has lost. But collagen supplementation can definitely help, especially as the menopause years approach. If you haven’t started taking collagen, start now! Remember that collagen provides structure to our bones, skin, and connective tissue. It’s responsible for our skin elasticity, the strength of our hair and nails, and even the flexibility of our joints. Collagen also helps improve our muscle mass and prevent bone loss. Adding collagen to your diet is certainly beneficial!
So, right now, what can you do?
1. Avoid collagen killers! Sun exposure, smoking, sugar consumption, air pollution, stress, and inadequate diet all contribute to the decline of collagen in your body.
2. Take your vitamins, especially Vitamin C. Supplementing with this vitamin actually encourages collagen production. Studies show that Vitamin C also helps with bone healing and in reducing oxidative stress.
3. Be mindful of your diet. Eating food like beans, spinach, broccoli, and cabbage can all help in supporting collagen production.
4. Stay hydrated! You can’t help the appearance of your skin if you’re dehydrated. Make sure you’re drinking your water and keeping your skin hydrated throughout the day.
5. Take your collagen supplements! We can’t stress this enough. You want to support collagen production in your body and want to ensure it has sufficient levels to keep your hair, skin, nails, and even the rest of your body, at top shape.
Proteinex: Our Liquid Collagen Protein
Proteinex is a hydrolyzed, liquid collagen supplement that has been broken down into its simplest form of amino acids, making it easily absorbed by the body. Just two tablespoons provide your body with 18g of pure collagen protein free of fats, sugar, carbs, dairy, and gluten. Taken daily, consuming Proteinex can provide an extra dose of collagen to your body and help you slow down its decline.
Click the product below for more information!